Even though the weather is still hot, Arkansas is already seeing cases of flu. Everyone over the age of 6 months should receive a flu shot. It takes the vaccine about 2 weeks to provide protection, so get your flu shot today!
Key Facts about Seasonal Flu Vaccine
- Seasonal flu is a disease that causes mild to severe illness and is easily spread. Each year in the United States, 25-50 million infections are reported, more than 200,000 people are hospitalized and 23,600 die due to seasonal flu.
- The seasonal flu virus is spread through coughing or sneezing and by touching a hard surface with the virus on it and then touching your nose or mouth.
- Flu vaccine will not give you the flu! The shot is a vaccine that helps protect you against the seasonal flu virus.
- The best way to prevent the flu is to get the flu vaccine each year. The vaccine takes one to two weeks to start working and is 70 to 90 percent effective in preventing the seasonal flu.
- Children can catch the flu more often than adults but they usually aren’t as sick. Parents should keep their sick children at home so they do not spread the flu to others.
- For older adults and others who are at risk of complications, flu vaccine can reduce hospitalizations by as much as 70 percent and deaths by 85 percent.
- The best way to protect yourself, your family.
Talk to one of our pharmacists today about protecting yourself and your family from the flu by getting vaccinated. Express Rx is able to bill insurances for the flu shot and most plans cover the vaccine at the pharmacy at a zero dollar copay.